[kictanet] [KICTAnet] TEAMS | EASSY Fiber Cables Cut? SEACOM | LION?

Eugene Lidede (Synergy) eugene at synergy.co.ke
Thu Mar 1 14:40:35 EAT 2012

Wakaba,

SCOM is the biggest carrier of data in Kenya. NMG on the other hand is the
biggest media house in Kenya. Both are public companies.

For SCOM to deliver traffic of its clients who are in Kenya, they have to
'travel' to the UK. NMG on the other hand collates news and info from, in
and about Kenya and also transports it to the UK where their servers are.
Both firms are in Kenya (owned by the public) the source of news is in
Kenya, SCOM clients are in Kenya, and so are NMG readers.

While they have their respective business models and commercial reasons,
(and mine is not an assault on that,) but from a policy and developmental
perspective, and in light of the fiber cut, how is it that the above
situation does not bother policy makers? It bothers me. How do we convince
BBC to setup node in Kenya to serve Africa south of the Sahara, with the
above situation? When will Internet costs truly come down if bold steps are
not taken?

If we can master resources to "incentify" foreigners by building them a
'brand new city', why can't we do it for our own businesses? The case of
these two publicly listed firms certainly does not require a 'brand new
city'...

. but then, maybe it requires two 'brand new cities' hence the reason why we
went for the cheaper option of one 'brand new city'!

Regards

Eugene Lidede | Chief Technology Officer | Synergy Systems Limited

6th Floor, Phoenix House, Kenyatta Ave. | Cell: +254 721 289497/476367 |
Tel: +254 20 2113163

 <http://live.mystocks.co.ke> live.mystocks.co.ke |
<http://www.propertykenya.com> www.propertykenya.com |
<http://www.mystocks.co.ke> www.mystocks.co.ke

Outstanding Online Investment Content Provider 2009 - Computer Society of
Kenya