[kictanet] [KICTAnet] TEAMS | EASSY Fiber Cables Cut? SEACOM | LION?

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 13:30:35 EAT 2012

Good points Michuki,

But I was talking in the context of getting the content owners who our
eyeballs go to, to set up their data centers here in-country so that
all access is 'local'. By default that would mean
mirroring/replicating their existing data center infrastructure -
which includes hardware, software, data, etc...

Your mention about Equinix is correct (I remember visiting their San
Francisco data center in 2003, interesting that it is entirely
underground) - on average data centers use between 30-100 MW
http://www.neuralenergy.info/2009/06/data-centers.html which, on the
higher end (where Google sits) is said to be the same amount of energy
to power a city of 200,000 - Nakuru? - nevertheless, that's a lot of
energy for a single facility. Imagine if the following were to
consider setting up facilities in Kenya?
- Microsoft
- Google
- Facebook
- General Electric
- EBay
- Amazon
- IBM
- HP

If all of them set up data centers in Kenya, they would collectively
need about 500-800MW. Peg this against our current installed capacity
of 1300MW and we are definitely not anywhere near the top of the list
in terms of destination of choice for an African data center
destination.

Let us not forget that these are all key target tenants for Konza. How
would we go about meeting their energy requirements? Let alone the
water requirements for cooling systems and (this may touch some
nerves) the human resource (skills) required to man and run the
centers?

Regards,

Brian

--
Brian Munyao Longwe
e-mail: blongwe at gmail.com
cell:  +254715964281
blog : http://zinjlog.blogspot.com
meta-blog: http://mashilingi.blogspot.com

"Give us clear vision that we may know where to stand and what to
stand for, because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for
anything."