[kictanet] [KICTAnet] TEAMS | EASSY Fiber Cables Cut? SEACOM | LION?

lordmwesh lordmwesh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 10:25:37 EAT 2012

Kenya has been a country with entrenched vested interests. We have
companies that generate independent power through diesel generators and
sell it to the national grid at a handsome profit. People who own these
companies are well known through the Kenyan political pecking order. If its
their time to eat, how dare you tell Kengen/GDC to increase renewable
energy power generation, while this crocodiles benefit from our inadequacy
to produce enough? Its actually more expensive buying KPLC power when they
insert those diesel costs than generating your own electricity using power
generators.

By the way, between 2008 and 2011, power bills increased by more than 100%.

How does the country BENEFIT from the power deficit? Do the maths. “At a
GDP size of $29.5 billion in 1999, the estimated loss during the [drought
of 1999 to 2002] was $442 million, which if it had been invested in the
renewable energy would have built almost three times the installed
emergency power capacity,”

Where is the salvation?

--