[kictanet] Kenya IGF Online Discussions Day 6 Freedom of Information and Data Protection Bills

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 10:41:40 EAT 2012

Listers,

Paul Kukubo posted this a couple of weeks ago on the list

"AS I write this I am sitting in a forum organized by the ISACA Kenya
Chapter to discuss these two draft  bills.  At this meeting we have a
representative from CIC. The draft bills are on the CIC website.

Lister's should be made aware of this process which is important as
part ofthe constitutional implementation. When the act is passed it
will improve
our profile as a destination for data processing.  As we speak there is a
proposal in the EU law that would make it illegal for data to flow to
countries that don't have data protection in place. *This has several
implications.*

Also, in a networked world, analysst indicate that the end game will be
that there will be global centers of excellence in data processing. Indeed
multinationals are consolidating data centres globally.

Submissions have been made by national council for law reporting, CIC,
Kenya bankers association.

Regards Paul Kukubo"

Questions

   1. What needs to be done for the Freedom of Information and data
   protection bills to be implemented and how can stakeholders be involved in
   the process?
   2. Paul talks about the proposal in the EU law to make it illegal for
   data to flow to countries that don't have data protection in place what
   implications will this move have for our country and how can this be
   mitigated?

The floor is open

--
Barrack O. Otieno