[kictanet] [ISOC_KE] Kenya IGF Online discussions Day 5: Infrastructure

alice at apc.org alice at apc.org
Wed Jun 20 17:52:14 EAT 2012

Talking of ICT/ telecommunications networks (network security/cyber
security), should this issue form part of International Telecommunications
Regulations or should this be limited to national laws etc?

Best

Alice

> @ Ali, we already copied CCK on the same, i hope we can have a response
on the same.

> Best Regards
>
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Ali Hussein <ali at hussein.me.ke> wrote:
>
>     Grace, Barrack
>     Would be nice to have this information from CCK. I suspect this
information already exists somewhere already.

<nmutungu at gmail.com> wrote:

>>     Ali,
>>     Your suggestions are quite practical! Reminds us of the not so
distant past, where there have been disputes about allocation of
infrastructure by Government to private sector players, eg
broadcasters and frequencies....are the current mechanisms
sufficient to resolve such disputes. And in the first place, is the
law sufficient to ensure efficiency in distribution and use of the
same...

>>     On the other hand private sector have been complaining of vandalism
of infrastructure. It is good to note that there is a Bill
proposing to increase the penalty for the same and I hope the views
on improving the Bill by stakeholders are taken into consideration.

>>     regards
>>
>>     2012/6/20 Barrack Otieno <otieno.barrack at gmail.com>
>>
>>         Ali,
>>
>>         You have hit the nail on the head, i hope we can have a
response from CCK regarding the questions that you have posted.
The Universal Access fund will be key to last mile
connectivity. I would also like to note what the likes of ZUKU
are doing, it is really commendable the proposed mapping of
residential areas by the Minister for Finance could also help
in bringing connectivity to residential areas, the cost can
then be split so that every household can get access.

<ali at hussein.me.ke> wrote:

>>             Barrack
>>             The Government, in this case Min of Info-Com must be lauded
for the efforts and pioneering spirit in the ICT
infrastructure area. Here is a clear example where the
Government was ahead of the private sector.  This must be
acknowledged because often we are very quick to criticize
government.
>>             Having said that we are still far from utopia. The
Universal Access program by CCK is laudable and needs to be
encouraged at every turn. According to CCK's website there
are various projects that are funded by the Universal
Access Fund. The information however is very thin. May I
make some suggestions? To ensure that high impact
interventions are instituted in areas that require
attention and where private sector doesn't see it
economically viable to provide telephony and Internet
services.
>>             1. CCK to provide all stakeholders with a quarterly report
on the status of coverage and interventions to deal with
under served areas
>>             2. An interactive map showing access availability and
unavailability.
>>             3. An understanding and appreciation of how CCK decides to
allocate funds on universal access.

<otieno.barrack at gmail.com> wrote:

>>>             Lister's,
>>>
>>>             Kenya is lauded as being a leader in Internet
infrastructure in the region. Provision of infrastructure
is acknowledged as a driving factor towards achievement of
Vision 2030. In deed in this years budget speech,
Government made proposals to allocate money to expand the
same. migration to digital television as well as a law
aimed at curbing communication cables vandalism were also
discussed.
>>>             Nevertheless questions still remain because infrastructure
remains concentrated in major cities and important centres
and facilities in rural areas do not have sufficient
access to the Internet.
>>>             a)  Are Government's efforts in the right direction
towards providing infrastructure that will get us closer
to universal access?
>>>             b) With Kenya's new governance structure, how can
Government facilitate efficiency at counties through
ICT/Internet?

https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/info%40alyhussein.com

>>>             The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a
multi-stakeholder platform for people and institutions
interested and involved in ICT policy and regulation. The
network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT
sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled
growth and development.

>>>             KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of
acceptable behaviors online that you follow in real life:
respect people's times and bandwidth, share knowledge,
don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do
not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.