[kictanet] [ISOC_KE] [Skunkworks] Kenya IGF on line Discussions Day 2: Intermediary Liability

Victor Kapiyo vkapiyo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 11:19:14 EAT 2012

Barrack,

The Constitution has opened up new avenues for addressing consumer
protection and public interest litigation. I am aware the CJ is currently
finalising rules that will make it easier for people to lodge petitions in
the public interest.

In addition, a review of the Kenya Communication Act should suffice to
identify some of the gaps and provide mechanisms to address them.

More importantly, i think it would be helpful to work in partnership with
the Judiciary and the LSK to explore the possibility of training or
sensitizing judicial officers and lawyers on these critical issues. Such
initiatives will ultimately help build our local body of jurisprudence on
ICT and IP related matters.

Victor

On 20 June 2012 08:48, Barrack Otieno <otieno.barrack at gmail.com> wrote:

> Agreed Ali, we have a couple of Consumer watchdogs around it would be
> great to get their opinion on the same.
>
> Best Regards
>

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Ali Hussein <ali at hussein.me.ke> wrote:
>
>> Listers
>>
>> Probably a good idea to get comments from the consumer watchdog?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Ali Hussein
>>
>> +254 773/713 601113
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone®
>>
>> On Jun 18, 2012, at 11:47 AM, otieno.barrack at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > Interesting observations Victor, how can we bring the courts on board
>> or better still how can we safeguard the interests of those who cannot
>> challenge the Telcos in court?
>> >
>> > Best Regards
>> > Sent from my BlackBerry®

Victor Kapiyo, LL.B