[kictanet] [ISOC_KE] Technology and Violence against women

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 19 23:28:16 EAT 2012

Kelvin
Yes yes you need to be corrected:)
You will be surprised that violence against women cuts across board i.e. in rural areas, in urban areas, in slums, in the leafy suburbs etc. Further, violence is not only physical but also psychological.
In regard to technology, there have been many cases of women's nude pictures being posted on internet by rejected lovers (and don't ask me why women allow their lovers access to their nude pics cause i have no answers). Women talk of the trauma they go through after something like this has happened (equate this to psychological violence). Do you remember sometime back,  Kaz (she is in the entertainment industry) had to appeal to people to stop forwarding or circulating hers which were posted by an ex, cause it was causing her so much anguish?
Patricia Kihoro of 2010 Tusker Project Fame told us in the survey we conducted on cyber crime and women,  that there was a Patricia hate page created on facebook after she voted for Ng'ang'alito instead of Debal. This scared her and she didnt know how the the public would treat her after she left the academy. She told us that she put private settings on her facebook page so that it would be impossible to trace her in the searches. This is just an example of how women are intimidated through the net.
Okay Kelvin. Pls share what men think as you promised.
Charles raises an important point that the same online tools used to intimidate women could be used to strengthen and empower women.  And Charles, do you think that there are gaps already? Say technological?
RgdsGG