[kictanet] [Skunkworks] Kenya IGF Online discussions Day 3: Technology and Violence against women

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Tue Jun 19 18:57:43 EAT 2012

We should not forget how technology related tools have been used to help
women, Ushahidi and frontlinesms being close home in helping violence rape
victims in Haiti. New York times reported "The site collected
user-generated cellphone reports of riots, stranded refugees, rapes and
deaths and plotted them on a map, using the locations given by informants.
It collected more testimony — which is what ushahidi means in Swahili —
with greater rapidity than any reporter or election monitor."
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/14/weekinreview/14giridharadas.html

This wiki has also been an effective tool in focusing about the rape in
Haiti
http://www.wikigender.org/index.php/Special_Focus_-_Haiti's_rape_crisis

--
Mwendwa Kivuva