[kictanet] ETHIOPIAN GOVT. BANS SKYPE, GOOGLE TALK AND ALL OTHER VOIP SERVICES

tnyasani at kulahappy.com tnyasani at kulahappy.com
Tue Jun 19 15:43:19 EAT 2012

Hey Listers,

Has anyone come across this information?

Regards,
Tichi

ETHIOPIAN GOVT BAN ON SKYPE:

The Ethiopian government, Al Jazeera  reports, has criminalized the
use of Skype and other VoIP services like Google Talk. Using VoIP
services is now punishable by up to 15 years in prison.
This law actually passed last month, but mostly went unnoticed outside
of the country. Ethiopian authorities argue that they imposed these
bans because of national security concerns and to protect the state's
telecommunications monopoly. The country only has one ISP, the
state-owned  Ethio Telecom, and has been filtering its citizen's
Internet access for quite some time now to suppress opposition blogs
and other news outlets.

USE SKYPE, GO TO PRISON

As for Skype and other VoIP services, the new law doesn't just
criminalize their usage, but the  Ministry of Communication and
Information Technology now has the power to supervise and issue
licenses to all privately owned companies that import equipment used
for the communication of information.? It's worth noting that the new
law also prohibits audio and video data traffic via social media. It's
not clear how exactly the government plans to enforce this
restriction, but a potential 15-year prison term will likely keep most
people from using Skype in Ethiopia anytime soon.

Reporters Without Borders also reports that Ethio Telecom installed a
system to block access to the Tor network, which allows users to surf
the Web anonymously. The organization notes that the ISP must be using
relatively sophisticated Deep Packet Inspection to filter out this
traffic.

According to Internet filtering and censorship watchdog , Ethiopia
currently has the second lowest Internet penetration rate in
sub-Saharan Africa and just around 700,000 of the country's 84 million
citizens had Internet access in 2010