[kictanet] [ISOC_KE] [Skunkworks] Kenya IGF on line Discussions Day 2: Intermediary Liability

Victor Kapiyo vkapiyo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 11:31:22 EAT 2012

Interesting discussions here.

I think the challenges that we have locally are that (1) there is no law,
(2) where there is, it is deficient, unclear and untested in the courts.

With regard to the fair use - sale of goods act - consumer protection
debate, one problem is that consumers sign contracts for services with the
ISPs; and these contracts always have a fair use clause, such that by
signing you are deemed to accept their fair use policy. This in effect
seems to derogate from the core principles of the sale of goods act -
fitness of description, purpose etc. But that is if you are looking at it
from the service perspective. The SOGA is silent about the regulation of
services, unlike the SOGA UK which has very clear provisions. But then
again if you are to look at the issue from a goods perspective, such that
data (bundles) are the goods to be delivered at a certain speed in a given
period, then the fair use principle would fail, and thus require the ISP to
provide the 'unlimited internet'.

>From a consumer protection perspective, I think that action should be taken
against some ISPs for fraudulent / misleading advertising, like in the case
of Apple <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18059732> in the UK over the
ad of the new ipad. In addition, there should be regulations mandating ISPs
to disclose their 'fair use policies' and state clearly how they are
implemented. In my view, throttling speeds when full speeds have been paid
for would amount to obtaining by false pretences - which is criminal!

Our courts are slowly starting to deal with such issues.
Recently<http://www.nation.co.ke/Tech/Pull+out+Facebook+post+hotel+ordered+/-/1017288/1426096/-/t6uyb3/-/index.html>,
a court ordered a hotel to take down a post from Facebook which was
discriminatory. This is a good step and we may see more of this, esp. now
with a new constitution, legislation on hate speech etc. In addition, Safcom's
new guidelines<http://www.nation.co.ke/News/politics/Safaricom+issues+tough+guidelines+on+political+messages+/-/1064/1429144/-/95yclmz/-/index.html>on
messages presents an interesting dimension to the role intermediaries
should play. I think its a good effort but it may have a limited effect
given the ease with which people can still purchase sim cards.

Nonetheless, while courts are the best arbiters for such issues, it mustn't
be forgotten that they can only pronounce on them if people went to court.
Sadly, no one is keen on incurring costs, so the corporates will always
win. Also, the lack of proper legislation also leads to increasing cases of
administrative actions eg by cck, kenic as cited, which may fail the due
process test.

But i remain hopeful.

Victor

Victor Kapiyo, LL.B