[kictanet] On line debate Agenda for 2012 Kenya IGF commences tomorrow June 14, 2012

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Thu Jun 14 17:26:50 EAT 2012

Ali Hussein, can we have a basis to ask ICANN/Verisign to surrender the
name kenya.com to the republic? If its possible then that would be a
landmark case.  We have more examples like uganda.com that is clearly owned
by a speculator. Other countries are not better off, with even
southafrica.com controlled remotely from the west.

On 13 June 2012 17:10, Ali Hussein <ali at hussein.me.ke> wrote:

> Good question Kivuva. In Internet time that was eons ago. Question is how
> about now. What can we do? Cyber squatting is still very prevalent.
>
> Ali Hussein
>
> +254 773/713 601113
>
> Sent from my iPhone®
>
> On Jun 13, 2012, at 5:04 PM, Kivuva <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com> wrote:
>
> Ali Hussein, kenya.com was registered in 1995 when domain squatting was
> taking root. I wonder how many of us knew what a domain is.
>
> On 13 June 2012 16:33, Ali Hussein <ali at hussein.me.ke> wrote:
>
>> Alice
>>
>> I agree. What is more interesting is that there are only 3 Geographic
>> names. Africa, dotAfrica and Durban. These are real concerns that will need
>> to be addressed. Even more interesting is that the rest are basically South
>> African through DSTV.
>>
>> The implications of cost, national pride etc arise.
>>
>> For example a quick search for Kenya.com brings up
>>
>>  Registrant
>>                      Abstract Holdings International Ltd.
>>                    Alex Royf
>>                    The Business Centre