[kictanet] WCITleaks just launched

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Thu Jun 7 08:10:04 EAT 2012

Alice

Thanks. That's duly noted. Whilst we do that we must continue to agitate
for transparency in the process.

For more information on ITRs see attached PowerPoint and links;-

http://www.itu.int/oth/T3F01000001
http://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-t/oth/3F/01/T3F010000010001PDFE.pdf
http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/itr/
http://www.itu.int/osg/spu/stratpol/ITRs/itrs_past.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU-T#International_Telecommunication_Regulations_.28ITRs.29

What should definitely raise our attention is this little bit of
information from wikipedia - *' At the December, 2012, World Conference on
International Telecommunications,[24]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU-T#cite_note-23>ITU
secretary-general Hamadoun
Touré <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamadoun_Tour%C3%A9> will convene
member-state delegations in Dubai <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubai> to
renegotiate the ITR treaty. "The sprawling document, which governs
telephone, television, and radio networks, may be extended to cover the
Internet, raising questions about who should control it, and how", assessed
one journalist looking forward to the conference earlier that year.**[25**]'
*
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU-T#cite_note-24>

Listers, if I sound like a bull-dog with a bone in its jaw please forgive
me. I'm just more convinced than ever that the current status quo of
Internet Governance and Freedom (albeit with more inclusiveness of the
people of the world and less US Government 'control') needs to be preserved
after the events of last night at Pivot East Awards held at Ole Sereni
Hotel. For those of us who may have missed this event Pivot East is an event
in which developers of mobile applications pitch or “sell” their ideas to
groups of venture capitalists and industry players. The best Pitch gets
rewarded by a cash prize that can be used as “seed” money to start or
develop the business idea.

The overall winner of this event was a gaming app called Ma3Racer. Simply
put the game takes our chaotic matatu industry and general state of driving
in the country and puts it into perspective in a very engaging mobile game.
What is amazing about this game is that not only is it very local in
content (I'm sure Daktari Ndemo is smiling.. :-) )  but it has to-date been
downloaded 800,000 times in over 200 countries as far as Mongolia!!

Now imagine if some misinformed functionary decided or decides that this
kind of content is not kosher and decides to pull down the site/app?

During yesterday's World IPv6 day at the iHub I was duly impressed by
Dr.Ndemo's key note address about the necessity to retain the freedom of
expression and communication (read the internet) while at the same time
protect ourselves from the minority elements who are hellbent on abusing
these freedoms. This kind of balanced approach I am hoping is what we all
want and what we all should be fighting for otherwise I can assure you
there will be no ma3racers, cellulants, pesapals, Seven Seas, Virtual
Cities, iHubs, mlabs and other labs to be proud of.

Can we be proactive about this? May I suggest ISOC takes this discussion to
the next level with an open hour or two at ihub? Is this possible Barrack?
As a member of ISOC, Kenya Chapter I offer my services however you can use
them.

Thank you all for listening/reading through my rumblings...:-)

Ali Hussein

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 6:19 AM, <alice at apc.org> wrote:

> Dear Ali and all,
> While we request for documents to be made available I would first urge
> listers to read what is publicly available, for example the ITR's etc.  My
> assumption is that once what is available is understood then we would know
> what documents we want to have access to.
>
> Best
> Alice

*Ali Hussein|Managing Partner*

*
*Telemedia Africa
Azania Technology Group

Chaka Court, Argwings Kodhek Road

P O Box  14556-00100

Office: +254 737 751409

Cell:     +254 773/713 601113

*Nairobi, Kenya*

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo

"You generally hear that what a man doesn't know doesn't hurt him, but in
business what a man doesn't know does hurt.". - E. St. Elmo Lewis, member,
Advertising Hall of Fame