[kictanet] Official response to the "facts" circulated by Alice on behalf of DotConnectAfrica

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 17:15:41 EAT 2012

Hi,

BTW, your named is misspelled in yoour application:

Mr. Gedion Rop	Project Support Engineer (DCA)

and I see that you are applying for .africa as a 'Standard" gTLD
according to the public parts of your application.

-----------quote------------------

18(a). Describe the mission/purpose of your proposed gTLD.

DotAfrica is a ‘Standard’ gTLD:

DotAfrica gTLD will be a standard, open, generic Top-Level Domain
(gTLD) that serves the diverse needs and purposes of the global
Internet community, but with special focus on promoting Internet use
in Africa.  It will have no community restrictions in its registration
policies.

DCA believes that DotAfrica does not qualify as a community-based
application for two main reasons:

a)	There is no clearly delineated, organized and pre-existing
community that is targeted by the DotAfrica gTLD.
b)	It is difficult to clearly identify who are the ‘members’ of the
community, since a ‘community-definition’ of DotAfrica will restrict
its use and functionality.  Since ‘DotAfrica’ does not necessarily
mean a TLD for ‘Africans’, it is difficult to determine the persons or
entities that are considered to form the community, and the number of
people or entities that make up the community.

It is for these reasons that we think that any community-based
application submitted for DotAfrica is merely to get a very important
generic word – that refers to a geographic name – as a gTLD string for
the ‘purposes’ of a community that is very difficult to define and
construct.

so why are you trying to assert that the uniforum application should
be a "community" application?

--
Cheers,

McTim