[kictanet] Changing the face of Jua Kali with new programming capabilities

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Wed Jul 25 14:39:18 EAT 2012

Listers,
Last week in a speech to SAP partners at Safari Park I challenged the
participants to leverage on technology to uplift Jua Kali.  My recent
visit to Kariobangi light industries (where I did my research), the
products are still the same yet the World has changed.  We still import
such simple things as bolts and nuts from China.  These are some of the
things we can very easily manufacture with simple software.  Practically
the entire world has moved to Computer aided Manufacturing (CAM) where
they easily generate 3D models of components.  It is so simple that in one
month we can start manufacturing bicycles and car parts here in Kenya.
With 19th century technology they manufacture brake pads and disks in
Kariobangi.

Let me get back to the reason why I am writing this post.  In that
audience was an Indian National who went back to his country and gave the
story.  Yesterday I got a call from Ministry of Foreign Affairs that some
Indian industry group wanted to see me urgently.  I gave them an
appointment for today early morning.  Their inquiry was whether we had
started the application of additive manufacturing, popularly referred to
as 3D printing.  Although I was stunned by the speed at which the Indians
reacted to my speech, I was able to probe why they developed the interest.
 I gathered that the Indian Government is developing six locations to set
up fabrication laboratories to help with industrialization of their
country.  And that India’s product quality has consistently improved to
the extent that Kenya’s leading import destination is India (see today’s
Business Daily).

Wikipedia tells me that as with other “Computer-Aided” technologies, CAM
does not eliminate the need for skilled professionals such as
manufacturing engineers, Numerical Control (NC) programmers, or
machinists. CAM, in fact, leverages both the value of the most skilled
manufacturing professionals through advanced productivity tools, while
building the skills of new professionals through visualization, simulation
and optimization tools.

Our Numerical Machine Complex lies underutilized.  We make a few lathes
there when we can scale up and provide all of our spare parts requirements
including exports to regional countries. This will improve on our exports
to African countries.  We can run it 24/7 and keep our Jua Kali busy with
assembly of exportable products.

Can we wake up?

Ndemo.