[kictanet] Yawe migrates to Digital TV

John Gitau jgitau at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 18:57:15 EAT 2012

Wash
On my house still lies a Dish I used to receive internet 'downlink service'
from intersat via DVB. the uplink was a traditional dialup, when I moved to
work at a Telco (Safaricom) I used service 951 for uplink, later gprs/edge
and when 3G/HSDPA came I stopped the DVB service. I forgot about DVB in the
general sense.

Today
DVB-T2 holds so much promise. there is what badru put out but best of all
is the fact that the chipsets in use can be easily extended to do so much
more. that most are running quite a bit of readilly available open distro's
based on open standards is awesome and means you can do things like provide
internet services for the masses if a service provider is so inclined to do
so, push messages, use it as part of your connected home etc.

Today I am lucky to be involved with two projects that deal with these
technologies. there is an interesting convergence of technologies and ideas
such that while I am traditionally a 'networking guy', they might need
multicast in the future, Im also curious but: to take advantage of the
technologies end to end, it would be nice to know what the minimum
requirements set are, then an entreprenurial fellow can figure out what
value adds to throw in. This could be anything from localization to
customizing the boards and operating systems/firmware with additional
interfaces, like wifi or a fridge magnet:-).

It is also the same technology DSTV use to do mobile TV. probably using
T2-lite. It is combined with the SIM card for admittance or lets just call
it authentication and billing. Now technically you could have another
interface maybe a permanent IPv6 to help admittance ia all the tools you
are used to like diameter. Do you start to see the potential? the moment
you throw IP in the world just opens up.

I'm also curious to see the quality requirements. Note in as much as STB's
will be standardized, some operators might transmit lets say NTV in HD
while another does it in SD. The HD would definately cost abit more based
on network resources consumed so the whole free to air remains free will
also be an interesting one to watch.

Lastly what DVB-T2 doesn't do LTE will take and carry home. When the
broadcasters release the frequencies for LTE. I guess listers and creatives
here have their work cut out for them. Just like we are leading in mobile
innovation, we can take this one on as well.

now who said you cant be productive in traffic, or type long mail on mobile
devices?:-)

Gitau

Sent from my Ipad

**Gitau