[kictanet] IP & Kenyan Courts

John Kariuki ngethe.kariuki2007 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 9 11:05:57 EAT 2012

Nyanchama,Listers

IP Law is relatively new and even more so in our country.As we move towards "Information" or "Knowledge" Society status these kind of cases can only increase. The Courts will rely on how "Persuasive" the evidence submitted to it will be.
It seems to me that time has come for our universities Schools of Law   to start New Modules on  "Intellectual Property Law" in their graduate programs in order to provide legal support to our large numbers of application developers who need to benefit from their intellectual capital.
As for the present case,let the courts deal with it to the highest level,so that we are able as a country to develop enough jurisprudence for future reference.

However,internationally, there is no shortage of suitable references on this subject but these need to be brought out as evidence and argued persuasively in order to win in court.

John Kariuki