[kictanet] Thika Road Debate

Andrew Gesora andy.gesora at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 08:21:14 EAT 2012

I think our country suffers from a "personality disorder". Some sections of
the economy (private sector and Govt) really try to work dilligently as
possible, whilst other sectors just do shoddy jobs and drag the country
back.

Why should we spend 100b shillings each year on new roads, some of which do
not measure to quality? Yet create no drainage? Even smaller cities in
Africa (I agree we should place our bar of measurement to much larger
cities), do have some better roads and drainages. We have the "tabia" of
creating roads and no drainages or open trenches that soon fill with trash.
Westlands for instance, the moment it drizzles, you have no idea whether u
will sink in a pothole or not, and you just wonder where KURA is given the
populace a suburb like Westlands or even Eastleigh handles in a day. If we
streamline roads in Eastligh with proper markings, would it not make it
easier for KRA to deepen its tax collections from the traders there?

Take an example of Waiyaki way, its barely a year since it was
recarpeted... if you go to the ABC roundabout when you turn from James
Gichuru coming towards westlands, the road already is developing huge
potholes..... and i think it was signed off.. In a few months it will need
a "kiraka"... I have been amazed how smaller cities like Dakar have good
roads, as much as i may have issues with their drainage, but u can just
feel a road that feels good.

It all boils down to proper road design, planning and maintenance. As the
Swahili say, usipoziba ufa, utajenga ukuta.