[kictanet] Interesting Piece ...

Muchiri Nyaggah muchiri at semacraft.com
Wed Jan 25 19:48:44 EAT 2012

I wouldn't change the tax regime at all. If local inverter manufacturers
want a share of the market they need to build stuff the market is willing
to pay for. That also means the government needs to find opportunities for
technology transfer, get inverter manufacturers to set up shop here so that
we know how its done.

By the way, shouldn't KenyaPower consider other options to keeping
customers powered? Sell/lease gensets, inverters, batteries, solar
solutions... Is KenyaPower's mandate to sell only electricity delivered by
the wire? Maybe I digress but it is my opinion that opportunities are
embedded in the challenges we complain most about. It maybe simply about
distilling their business to the basics.

The comments I have seen on Facebook and on the blog in reaction to the
post for the most part seem to focus on the challenges Walter throws out
and what we should do as a people. Others (fewer) point quickly to the
tone, language and twisted view of Africans that Walter expresses. There
will be no consensus of opinion on any of that. However, the conversations
triggered and the viral spread of the article is definitely telling.

It is important to hear others out even when they are wrong :) Someone
else's warped view of us can only be modified by evidence not by loud
protests and there are many like Walter with a view of Africa that needs
modification. The evidence exists, we simply need to tell these stories on
our platforms and celebrate the good things that are happening in Africa.

Kind regards,

Muchiri Nyaggah | PRINCIPAL PARTNER
@muchiri
Cell: +254 722 506400

eGOVERNMENT | HEALTHCARE PLATFORMS | CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE | TECHNOLOGY

SEMACRAFT CONSULTING PARTNERS
Nairobi | Singapore
www.semacraft.com | www.semacraft.com/blog
twitter: @semacraft