[kictanet] Interesting Piece ...

John Gitau jgitau at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 17:21:26 EAT 2012

Let me weigh in on this resources issue:
Many of us have experienced poverty at different levels. My thinking
(formed by a mix of observation,history and some research) the transition
from living on the edge to self sufficiency even for an individual is not
going to automagically happen. I have over and over tried getting raises at
work hoping to get away from 'poverty'. It loves me it seems. There is no
magic bullet and it wont take a year or two, even for most individuals.

We do however need to see some sort of effort in the right direction. By
everyone including myself. It is inevitable that for some time we'll
experience a lowering of what we can afford.

We do have the resources. I prefer looking at it this way: If I improve my
life then there's a high chance I improve those around me and on and on it
goes. I try and imagine patriotism built around our ability to adapt as
opposed to how many cars or money I(we) have or which polititian or tribe I
support.

It is feasible to invest in natural capital - to improve soil and water
quality, to plant more trees that will bear and serve future generations,
and pass down more and better - maybe not more and better economic growth
(what is that to an individual right?), but more and better natural
resources; better priorities.Maybe if (I) we can find a way to induce
people to improve their culture, soils, water, resources, we may find that
living with much less is easier. I definately find it easier...now on to
making more money :-)

In the end it starts and probably ends with you!

Gitau

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Dennis Kioko <dmbuvi at gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem in Africa is resources,
> we have resources, but the problem is in the distribution of the same
> resources, as Hook has shown.
>
> A country may have food in one location while people are dying of food in
> another.
>
> I was discussing with a pal over lunch, and she pointed out that a
> constituency might be forced to fund hospitals in several locations, rather
> than one hospital to be shared in the whole constituency. the many
> hospitals will take many CDF cycles before they are completed, and the
> locations may not even be  in a position to run the hospitals.
>
> Individuals will also siphon funds into their personal accounts, and will
> hide the money in Swiss bank accounts thus denying their home countries of
> liquid cash. Even if not convicted, such people should be forced to return
> the money back, or invest it locally, and have their charges waived in
> return.
>
> Furthermore, Africa has to learn to share resources, rather than divide
> them.

**Gitau