[kictanet] Interesting Piece ...

simiyu mse kensimiyu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 13:40:03 EAT 2012

It's all well and good, aiming for the Kenyan car, Kenyan plane and all.

However, being the third world country we are, we need to face the facts.
As a country, we need to be sober and face the facts. We need to use what
we have to make gains.

What will putting billions of shillings into making a Kenyan plane aid us
if we still have hungry people in our midst? Wouldn't a fraction of that
being channeled into making boreholes and expanding the footprint of arable
land be a better bet.

Granted, We are at the consumption end of the line. We will not make
an iPhone contender that will lift us out of poverty or what not. We need
to know what we can do within our means that will solve our perennial
problems affecting our basic needs. Address our reliance on good weather to
have food security. Come up with cheap housing. Address
our inefficient transport channels that add an unnecessary cost on goods.

Use our ideas to inject simple technology into mundane activities. Use our
Kenyan peculiar nature to squeeze some commerce out of it. The idea in the
article of the stone crusher is an excellent example.

What we need to do, is take stock of our assets, have a plan to each year
be at a better place than the last. Have policies that would entrench the
build Kenya buy Kenyan idea.

Africa as a market is fueling western economies. And there will definitely
be resistance to its attempts at economic independence.

The day we will have genuine pride in owning something Kenyan, is the first
day of the best of our lives.

Over to you Mr Kibati.