[kictanet] ICT publications

Francis Hook francis.hook at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 11:02:42 EAT 2012

http://cio-inverted.blogspot.com/2012/01/walk-talk.html

An interesting point of view on ICT publishing, esp when aimed at
C-levels (and I have oft wondered about this also esp in view of some
local publications).

If I may pull a quote out of this piece:

"Take any IT publication (physical or electronic), irrespective of the
target audience (CIO, IT Managers, channel partners, broad-based
audience), the editorial or one of the cover stories is always about
what the CIO should be doing to stay relevant to the business. The
underlying theme is always about business before IT. But after the
preaching is done, back to business as usual, do you know about the
new 64 core server or the next crossover device with zillion pixel
screen ?"

:-) I'm sure that quote resonates with many local IT managers/directors/CIOs....

Its sad to note that most publications are cluttered with what seem
like news stories or features, but are really advertorial type of
material or hastily re-worded and  inserted press releases where
publishers failed to secure adverts...tut tut!

Quite frankly there is no reason why we cannot have content like ITWeb
(www.itweb.co.za) or TechCentral, where issues are examined broadly
and independently, without pandering to the whims of ICT advertisers.
Having said that, I should admit there are a few Kenya blogs that
provide pretty good content

-
Francis Hook
+254 733 504561