[kictanet] Obama spikes SOPA

Alice Munyua alice at apc.org
Thu Jan 19 12:05:51 EAT 2012

  Obama Says So Long SOPA, Killing Controversial Internet Piracy Legislation

The growing anti-SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) support that has swept
through the gaming and Internet community found a very big ally today.
With websites like Reddit and Wikipedia and gaming organizations like
Major League Gaming
<http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/01/17/major-league-gaming-ceo-sundance-digiovanni-speaks-out-against-sopa-and-pipa/>
prepared for a blackout on January 18^th – the same day that the House
Judiciary Committee hearing on HR 3261was scheduled in Washington
<http://www.forbes.com/places/dc/washington/>, DC – President Barack
Obama <http://www.forbes.com/profile/barack-obama/> has stepped in and
said he would not support the bill.

SOPA has been delayed, for now. The House has agreed to revisit the
issue next month, but they now know the White House will veto any bill
that’s not more narrowly focused.

READ MORE:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/01/16/obama-says-so-long-sopa-killing-controversial-internet-piracy-legislation/

--
Mobile Number in Namibia +264 81 445 1308

I am away from Johannesburg - you cannot contact me on my South African
numbers
Estou fora de Joanesburgo - não poderá entrar em contacto comigo através
dos meus números sul-africanos

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
Angola Liaison Consultant