[kictanet] Government website Hacking incident a crying shame

John Gitau jgitau at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 10:37:30 EAT 2012

This goes beyond government:
eg its not unheard of for a company/govt to spend money on a data center or
other infrastructure, then outsource the very services that should be in
that DC to some US/foreign company for quick bucks, or because it makes
'sense'.
- Our users take up a service, the log files are shipped to the 'cloud', we
read about Kenyan statistics from some foreigner just because no one
analyses it here, oh and you have no access to it. Today facebook can tell
you all manner of things about our habits, ditto google. We then go buy
trend reports. I've spent countless hrs trying to convince someone at work
that 'raw data and log files' are a raw material of immense value.
- a trend thats seeing alot of foreign funding for technology startups will
probably see more 'profits' flying away while a couple of Kenyans with
money can't/don't want to/don't know how to take advantage of the said
opportunities.
- Regionally quite a number of people look up to us to show the way
forward.

However in all these problems, Im seeing a trend where things keep
improving - slowly. And yes cyber security is going to be a challenge but
we can get through it if the affected people talk to the right people. Im
also happy with that. And to be fair I've not done much to improve things
so far.

Gitau

**Gitau