[kictanet] Internet Access Is Not a Human Right By VINTON G. CERF

Victor Kapiyo vkapiyo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 17:01:25 EAT 2012

True McTim, the GA hasn't declared it as such yet. But the report (see:
http://documents.latimes.com/un-report-internet-rights/) by the
special rapporteur as presented to the GA is without doubt persuasive
authority on the subject and will (if not already) influence the treatment
by states of internet access. And as you rightly point out, many states
have already taken some positive steps.

On 9 January 2012 11:16, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Victor,
>
> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Victor Kapiyo <vkapiyo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would agree with Grace and disagree with Cerf to some extent.
> >
> > I think the internet has become an essential component of the human
> > condition, and perhaps that would explain the reasoning of the UN in
> > declaring access to the internet a human right.
>

> I don't believe that the UN has actually declared this a human right.
> Various Member States have passed laws declaring this, but the General
> Assembly of the UN has not (yet) to my knowledge actually enshrined
> Internet access as s human right.
>

> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim