[kictanet] Nairobi traffic congestion -what is the role of technology

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 9 12:46:12 EAT 2012

Hi,

We have broadband internet yet 90% of us still commute when we do not need to, so lets first apply technology ourselves.  Unless we in the technology industry apply the resources at our disposal to "extend the umbilical code" the congestion will continue.

The longer winded solution to resolving the congestion in the City is as follows: (based on the City Centre Master Plan done in 1974)

So long as the City Council insists that for every housing development you must allocate 1.5 parking spaces per unit this problem will not go away, what we need is to penalise any developer who provides parking space for any units that are less than 300 square meters in size.

If you look at any well planned city you have 3 or more rings around the CBD with distances of 2 to 5 kilometres in between.

Lets see how Nairobi would be if we applied the same rules, the CBD at the core (GPO as the centre) measuring about 2 kilometres in radius, using technology such as Google Earth that will take us to Westlands, Nyayo Stadium, Hurlingham,  and Pangani.

This areas should be ear marked as a very high density region zoned for commercial activities with minimal vehicular traffic (walking distance from Muthurua Bus Park to GPO is less than 2 KM).  Approval to drive your private vehicle into this area should be issued by KRA and City Council based on your financial contribution to the City.

The second ring will be 2 kilometres wide and this will provide the first residential areas which will be zoned as high density residential and with no parking spaces provided.  The City Council is already implemented part of this by increasing the building ration in Kilimani, Lileleshwa and parts of Kilimani from 60% to 200%.

What this means is that on a 1 acre plot in this area a developer can put up 80 to 100 2 bedroom apartments whereas previously they could only get approval for 25 to 30.

This zone extends to Eastleigh, Muthaiga, Embakassy, Spring Valley, Kirichwa Road, Parts of Kibera (current population is over 500,000 people with a ratio of less than 1 car per 1000) and Woodley.  As we have reduced the space available for parking cars most residents will use public means.  At the outer periphery parking silos could be provided to accommodate the cars of those coming in from Zone 3.

Zone 3 is the second residential area with medium density houses with parking spaces, this is your current Buru Buru, Karen and Embakassy areas.  A 4th Ring will consist of the first level that can be termed as suburbs, the 5th Ring will be outside Nairobi thus making the problem that of another county, the cars from that areas will be kept out by high toll charges.  Those resident in the 4th ring and beyond are already having their transport requirements into the City being planned with the setting up of the train stations at Githurai, Mulolongo and Kikuyu.

This scenario has been generated using google earths ruler feature, now that is what we calling applying technology

Regards

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor