[kictanet] Internet Access Is Not a Human Right By VINTON G. CERF

Josiah Mugambi josiah.mugambi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 13:55:50 EAT 2012

His third paragraph says it all:

*But that argument, however well meaning, misses a larger point: technology
is an enabler of rights, not a right itself. There is a high bar for
something to be considered a human right. Loosely put, it must be among the
things we as humans need in order to lead healthy, meaningful lives, like
freedom from torture or freedom of conscience. It is a mistake to place any
particular technology in this exalted category, since over time we will end
up valuing the wrong things. For example, at one time if you didn’t have a
horse it was hard to make a living. But the important right in that case
was the right to make a living, not the right to a horse. Today, if I were
granted a right to have a horse, I’m not sure where I would put it.*

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 9:12 AM, Dennis Kioko <dmbuvi at gmail.com> wrote:

> The same argument can be used on infrastructure, an area with poor
> infrastructure will tend to be underdeveloped , whereas an area with good
> infrastructure such as road networks, electricity and clean water access
> will tend to be more developed. The Internet plays an important role as the
> other infrastructure.

Josiah Mugambi