[kictanet] Happy New Year - ref: Re: Vision 2030: ICT and Other Sectors Converged (Day 3)

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Sun Jan 1 21:11:00 EAT 2012

Dakitari,
When we defend positions we kill a lively discourse.  I know you do good for Kenya but that should not stop us from discussing the merits and demerits of working from the diaspora.  I had clearly said that some academics are suspect.  I was actually deliberate and hoped someone would ask me to expound on this assertion.

I still stand by my statement.  Academics should indeed make well researched statements that can help build Africa.  Most commentaries by African academics and more specifically from the diaspora are opinions.  Their opinions are mostly political and do not differentiate them from our less educated lot.

Africa suffers all angles and lacks all manner of resources including venture Capital but you find almost all studies on exploiting local opportunities are done by foreigners.  New research on social enterprise to alleviate poverty was done by foreign Universities using African data.  The looming Euro crisis' impact on Africa is being done by foreigners yet we have well accomplished economists out there.  I can go on and on.

In swahili it is said that "mwacha mila ni mtumwa".  In my previous contribution especially on colonialism, I have stated that going forward we must build the confidence to face up to our colonial masters and work for the improvement of all.  How do we get their if our very own disregard local research?  How do we build confidence when we become dependent even on research?

Prof. Makau writes every week in local papers but you cannot distiguish his piece from an angry local writer.  His comments on the constitution before and after its making were suspect.  He could not even point out on the composition of the committee of experts that drafted the constitution that it was skewed towards lawyers.  This document as we implement it did not consider the economics of its implementation.  As a prominent legal expert he flip flopped relying mostly on opinions yet there is rich history on constitutionalism in the US.  Other academics did the same.

This forum as you know does not target anyone.  We are simply exploring on issues and we are happy that you are able to contribute.

Regards.

Ndemo.

Sent from my BlackBerry®