[kictanet] Looking back at Konza

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Sun Feb 26 19:03:49 EAT 2012

Treasury could not fund the project because the incentives were not spelt
out in the Finance Bill.  We were to incentify organizations that moved
their businesses to Kenya.  All they needed was to cover their migration
by footing a six month rent.  We had practically secured about 6,000 seats
out of India.

Some of the larger enterprises keen on Kenya are still looking for
accomodation.  They have given Sameer Park what they want and if the
modifications are done, they would move in.  Even us we were under the
assumption that every building that comes up adheres to the Building code.
 This does not happen.

They do not take security of the wokers seriously.  You have seen how the
fire Brigade struggles to get water to the fire incidences.  Mordern
cities have fire hydrants on every access road.  They have fire detectors,
fire sprinklers in every floor and above all sufficient number of toilets.

We still assume that some of us would use the fast disappearing bush to
answer calls of nature.  The state in Nairobi is pathetic.  I see it in
Telcom Towers wher sometimes people literally queue to use the toilet.  We
have forgotten that when the International Life Houese cought fire in its
9th floor, people were rescued by helicopters as it lacked alternative
fire escape.  Most International organizations have since left the
building.  We must embrace International Standards if we have to be
competitive.  Since all these requirements are in the Building Codes, we
need better enforcement.  Not just the Government, we all must demand that
these codes are followed.  We simply take too many risks.

Enough for now.

Ndemo.