[kictanet] The UN : A Threat to the Internet freedom?? and WCIT-12

Alice Munyua alice at apc.org
Sun Feb 26 16:01:15 EAT 2012

Hi McTim  and all,

Our assumption is the national position on the upcoming WCIT-12 will be
developed with stakeholder input and we should all look forward to
contributing to shaping our national position before the second Africa
regional meeting in 21-24 May 2012 in South Africa.

More information on WCIT Visit:
http://www.itu.int/en/wcit-12/Pages/default.aspx

best

Alice
-------------------
A different view on the article:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/119481-fcc-fires-fud-at-the-idea-of-a-un-controlled-internet

    FCC fires FUD at the idea of a UN-controlled internet

In a recent editorial at The Wall Street Journal, FCC Commissioner
Robert McDowell blasted the upcoming ITU World Conference on
International Telecommunications (WCIT-12). According to McDowell,
Russia, China, and their allies at the ITU want to monitor all internet
communications, allow foreign companies to charge for international
internet traffic "perhaps even on a per-click basis," impose economic
regulations, take over ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names
and Numbers), and conquer the Internet Engineering Task Force.

McDowell reaches a bombastic crescendo
<http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204792404577229074023195322.html>
by claiming that the treaty will more-or-less destroy everything,
everywhere, writing: "Productivity, rising living standards and the
spread of freedom everywhere, but especially in the developing world,
would grind to a halt as engineering and business decisions become
politically paralyzed within a global regulatory body."

The FCC Commissioner's threat assessment is completely out-of-step with
the US government's opinion, as shown in a leaked memo
<http://blog.internetgovernance.org/blog/_archives/2012/1/30/4988735.html>
from January 23, 2012. The memo notes that while there was "great and
widespread concern" a year ago that WCIT-12 would be a battle over the
role the ITU should play in internet governance, the US spent 12 months
working to limit the scope and nature of the issues that will be
considered at the treaty negotiations. As a result, "There are no
pending proposals to invest the ITU with ICANN-like Internet governance
authority. Neither cybersecurity nor Internet governance predominate
discussion in any region."

Among the charges leveled at the ITU are claims that the treaty could
"Impose unprecedented economic regulations such as mandates for rates,
terms and conditions for currently unregulated traffic-swapping
agreements known as 'peering.'" As we've said, there's literally no such
agreement under consideration --- but the inclusion of this point sheds
light on why certain parties are so interested in keeping this issue in
the news.

Under the current unregulated peering system, foreign ISPs pay US ISPs a
fee to carry internet traffic, which means US companies make a tidy sum
of cash off foreign access. If internet servers were truly decentralized
--- the "Balkanization" McDowell fears --- US ISPs would end up paying
considerably more money to their foreign counterparts.

Those bright white lines aren't just revenue sources, they're control
linkages. If you work for the MPAA/RIAA or back laws like SOPA and PIPA
<http://www.extremetech.com/computing/114411-sopa-blackouts-begin-as-mpaa-calls-foul>,
those links are absolutely vital. Any attempt to create an international
system of internet governance would weaken the RIAA and MPAA's efforts
to implement SOPA-style censorship. Both bills were aimed at restricting
and controlling /foreign/ internet traffic, which means both
intrinsically assumed that such traffic would be flowing through the
United States.

An equally distributed intra-planetary internet would still take
geolocation into account for routing and access purposes, but would
effectively eliminate the concept of "foreign" websites. SOPA and PIPA
were meant to be palatable to the general US population precisely
because they exploited an us/them mentality and claimed to be protecting
America. If internet control were to shift towards nations that favored
fewer copyright restrictions, internet access as a human right, and
limited punishment for piracy, it would be a serious threat to content
distributors.

McDowell's claims are factually inaccurate and hyperbolic. They paint a
false dichotomy between the idea that the internet today is a
free-wheeling, uncontrolled frontier, while the alternative is a fascist
state. The internet, as it exists today, is highly regulated. Some of
that regulation was inherited or expanded from the old laws governing
telephone access
<http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/107527-att-slams-fccs-t-mobile-merger-investigation-as-lacking-all-credibility>
and line-sharing, some of it is applied via laws like the DMCA. ICANN is
not a direct arm of the US government, but it's a far cry from a private
corporation. The publicized debates around net neutrality and the FCC
last year are further evidence that the idea of an unregulated internet
is a fallacy.

At the other end of the equation, no one advocates handing over complete
control of the internet to the likes of Russia, China, Myanmar, and
Iran. There's no reason not to open internet governance slowly and
gradually, unless you represent a faction who views such a process as an
unacceptable loss of control. Regardless of how you feel about the
issue, McDowell's editorial only clouds the debate with demagoguery.
It's a blatant attempt to fire people up emotionally with virtually no
grounding in objective fact. The internet is going nowhere, regardless
of what happens at the upcoming meeting. Ultimately, however, this isn't
a debate about whether the internet is regulated, but an argument over
who should control the regulatory process. If US lawmakers continue
pushing bills like SOPA and PIPA, they may find an increasing number of
US citizens who think the UN is a more attractive alternative --- a
concept editorials like this are meant to thwart.