[kictanet] Weird Things ...Konza City?

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 15 16:33:51 EAT 2012

Daktari,

Yet again you are reiterating my thoughts and fears, what happens next year assuming you are not there to midwife the project and a former Kamiti inmate takes over the reigns of the project?

For Konza to be successful we need to realise that it is bigger than anything this country has ever undertaken so when we hand the project over to an already over stretched KICT board to add to its already overflowing basket of activities and do not enshrine it into the constitution we are giving the indication that we are not genuine serious about the project.

Konza is not a project it is an ecosystem that will be living and breathing for many years to come therefore we need to be able to visualise it 20, 30 and even 50 years into the future.

I like the advertisement that was on page 19 of the Tuesday Nation on the intention to develop a master plan but my only reservation is that the process should have been better handled under a single umbrella body.

The expected planning it to be done jointly by 3 councils, when Nairobi and Mavoko cannot agree on the boundaries of their jurisdictions do we expect from their smaller siblings? If we take the current 5,000 acres and then include the proposed 10 kilometre wide buffer zone Konza becomes large enough to be a City or even a County.

We formed a Ministry to handle issues of the Nairobi Metropolitan why can't the same be done for Konza, I just have this nagging filling in pit of my stomach that you are the only one taking the project seriously and that its continued existence is dependent on your continued participation.  What happens if you accidentally knock your head, God forbid, and decide to run for governor?

Regards

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor