[kictanet] Weird Things ...Konza City?

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 11:33:29 EAT 2012

Robert et al,

Whereas i agree to your positive criticism we run the risk of analysis
paralysis, i attended the town hall meeting at UoN where Dr. Ndemo
presented the title deed for Konza City, during the same meeting i noticed
something that was not so clear to the naked eye and this were vested
interests, there are those who were for it and those who were against it
for whatever reasons yet we ate from the same plate.

Whereas i agree that we may have had a bad history or past as a country ,
we must not use this as a compass for our future, remembering the past will
only turn us into pillars of salt, tasteless salt for that matter, must we
compare Konza to the Smart City in Egypt of similar cities in Dubai as Mr.
Mutinda posits? we could as well have something bigger , in any case we are
learning from the mistakes that were made in those countries.

I therefore propose that the project should proceed, we don't need to know
what the future holds otherwise we will defeat the very defination of
innovation, furthermore we are in a new constitutional dispension and we
are likely to have institutional measures and safeguards that will ensure
such projects don't fail as has been the case in the past.

Having attended the presentation on Tatu City at Strathmore University i
noticed the challenges that the planners were facing based on the same
issues being raised by Bobby, what impressed me however is now the project
team was able to convincingly respond to the queries being raised and when
i left i had not doubt it was  a great idea, i suppose this is the approach
we should adopt with regard to Konza so that all questions are not lumped
at an individual, i guess the time is also ripe for another townhall
meeting so that stakeholders can engage the project team lest we scuttle
another great initiative, if there is no one to offer space i suggest we
congregate at Uhuru Park, it is close to Dr. Ndemos office.

My two tiles for the technology park

Barrack O. Otieno
+254721325277
+254-20-2498789