[kictanet] Weird Things ...Konza City?

S.M. Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 12:50:40 EAT 2012

At a Konza City briefing some months ago, the Kengen MD said they have an
energy plan for the city. Forgot the specifics.

My speculation (this is not what the Kengen MD said) coal mining in Eastern
Kenya is going to contribute to powering Konza City.

Some Water Authority was there too - talking about supply of water and if I
remember well there was also talk of hydro power.

Whether Foreigners show up at Konza City or not is immaterial to some of
us. They will value add if they do show up. We need to provide a good
working environment for Kenyan Technologists. We do not have to build good
things just to attract Foreigners. We are the ones living in Kenya. We can
love ourselves too.

Being 60 Km away from Nairobi City - 20 minutes by train -- Konza City will
intitally feed off the Nairobi Metropolitan Area (over 50% of the Kenyan
economy at the moment). It also happens to be on Mombasa Rd too and can
become a Tourist Point too.

In 2007, Eastern Kenya was generally innocent of ethnic cleansing, though
they will become more hostile with the influx of ''outsiders".

http://www.the-star.co.ke/national/national/58176-cement-company-secretly-acquired-44000-acres-in-kitui-claims-ngilu

Other Technology Parks should be planned / developed to serve Firms wishing
to locate in parts of Kenya not too hostile to them.

Final note below:

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 9:36 AM, robert yawe <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Strathmore University on the other hand went for the LEED certification
> right from design stage, please send me the section in the Konza master
> plan where LEED certification is mentioned as a requirement?  We both
> listened to the presentation about Hydrabad and the issues that arose
> relating to its development how they where handled, why is it that you
> refuse to carry out a SWOT analysis on the Konza project?  We need to move
> beyond dreaming towards the reality that is the Kenya we have.

*I approached Paul Kukubo at the Konza City briefing to ask about Local
Universities. Strathmore University was the only one he mentioned as
meeting the criteria they have set for Konza City**.*