[kictanet] Outsourcing trends

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 9 18:39:00 EAT 2012

Hi,

I have just finished going through an web presentation with a company in India, in the presentation this graph was displayed and my heart sunk.

If infrastructure (data centres) is the growth area then our emphasis on BPO and the rest might be off the mark especially since in terms on infrastructure we remain one of the the most expensive worldwide.

In all the presentations made about the Konza project I have seen no mention of how to reduce the cost of power or an emphasis on energy efficient environments.  Are we embracing LEED and do we even have an idea what it is all about.

We marvelled at the energy efficient data centre that was put up at the UNEP complex and then went back to our old habits. Google is floating data centres on barges others are setting them up in the north pole, how do we fit into this new dispensation?

I saw the post by Mr. Kukubo about the software certification which he indicated was conceived 2 years ago, sorry sir but 2 years in the IT sector is like a decade in other areas.  Konza was hatched over 5 years ago it needs a total rethink if we are to avoid putting up another white elephant.