[kictanet] Digital migration and local manufacturing

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Tue Dec 25 21:25:19 EAT 2012

Off list a number of you have written to me asking that I clarify how we
can build the demand side of tourism.  Without getting myself into
trouble, our state of tourism industry is worrying.  If the number of
Kenyans who travelled to Dubai for Christmas is an indicator, then we all
must worry.  These are people who ordinariry holiday in Mombasa but
because we have not improved the tourism product in Mombasa, they look for
alternatives such as Dubai.  This is my primary basis of demand-side of
tourism.

The Coast tourim product is not developed.  If you are going to South
Coast, crossing the ferry is a nightmare.  The dirt in both shores is
shocking.  I am of the view that dirt and poverty are not the same and one
thing.  Growing up in rural Kenya we did not have modern housing (often
referred to permanent house) but the houses were cleaner and gabbage
managed well to create a friendly environment.  It cannot be that years
after we now equate poverty and uncleanliness.  We cannot have a huge
unemployed youth and uncollected gabbage at the same time.  Logic dictates
that the unemployed should be utilized in such jobs if the council
collects rates to pay them.  We do not need donors for this.

Getting to North Coast is not any simpler with unsightly environment which
we can clean and improve the product.  In such chaotic and unsightly
environment lurks insecurity.  This is why the numbers are declining and
would not improve to significant levels.

We are destroying the bread and butter (Wildlife) of Kenya's tourism
faster than we can build any hotel.  In the past few months we have lost
several Elephants and Rhinos.  Not many arrests have been made.  Here we
need a collaborative effort and building on rural incentives to protect
the animals.

If you have been to the airport lately, you realize that JKIA has become a
major transit airport for the increasing Africa trade with the East
whereas it was built as a terminal airport.  The entire West Africa uses
either Dubai or Nairobi as the transit point to Asia.  The difference
between Nairobi and Dubai is like day and night.  Whereas Dubai Airport is
large and spacious, Nairobi is crammed up; in Dubai there are hotels even
within the airport for transit passengers but at JKIA there is not even
showers for passengers; in Dubai there is plenty of food in several food
courts but in Nairobi you can hardly find decent food.

These are all opportunities for our economic expansion. The airport alone
can pull the demand for agricultural outputs and enable farmers get value
for their produce. Several people would be employed to ensure all other
value adding services at the airport are availed and make JKIA a
competitive hub.

Majority of East and Central Africans come to Nairobi for shopping but we
have never made it easy for them.  We needed to create duty free locations
for them to come and shop but it takes more than a month to clear and
transport any goods to Nairobi from Mombasa.  This is another opportunity
for more visitors into Kenya.

The trade imbalance between Kenya and China keeps on widening in favour of
the later.  It will be in order if we demanded for more tourists if we
need to continue bilateral trade arrangements. Imagine if 1% of China
visited Kenya.  This will translate to 13 million visitors (of course
there will be no hotel space hence the need to invest in more proper
hotels).

What I have said is all possible to build the demand-side of our tourism
but we must start from the positive end of thinking and liberalize our
thinking.  There was talk of the second liberation.  I suppose it is still
on and hopefully we shall deal more with the mind as we move our country
forward.

Ndemo.