[kictanet] Premium rate SMS ripoff

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 10 12:05:36 EAT 2012

Hi,

Is there no way to reign in this new ripoff that is being done using premium rate SMS numbers for services which are activated without your knowledge or acknowledgement.

The current one is being done by KBC who sent the first message which seems to be notifying me that they have a new service, the next message I got indicated that they had activated the service and proceeded to deduct 10/- from my account.

    KBC will  send you a message to opt in for 2013 election news. You will have an option to unsubscribe by sending elections off to 8008. This text is free.

    (16/11/2012 02:00p) : ELECTIONS:Welcome to 8008 KBC service,for the latest breaking news on Kenya elections. Charges will be at Khs.5 above normal.Send 'elections off' to unsubscribe

I never subscribed to this service, it was done automatically, the annoying thing is that, in my case, Safaricom are acting as the collectors for this new ripoff scam and they are not taking the issue seriously.

It took them 1 year to reverse deductions made on my line by one of this errant premium rate service providers who are making money faster than the pyramid schemes that come up every election year.

Imagine if they activate 1 million subscribers that is a cool 3 million to them (7 million to the mobile provider) every time they send out an SMS, no wonder armed bank robberies have reduced recently, who needs a gun when all you need is a PRSP license and you are home and rich.

Fortunately I have a post paid account and at least I have documentary evidence of the issue what about all those of you who are on prepaid tariffs,

Regards

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor