[kictanet] Digital migration and mass ignorance

Baiju Shah baiju at tele2media.com
Fri Dec 7 13:55:28 EAT 2012

There are couple of things we need to bear in mind with the Digital
Migration

.         It will improve the quality of broadcast to the public as new
players will enter the market. This will also bring more choice to the
public and increasing competition will bring affordability to the market.
Hence, it is a technology for the masses, yes in the early days the effort
will be fragmented and the early adopter will be buying into the technology.

.         There will be opportunities for new value added services to be
available, like providing good quality Electronic Programme Guide
information to the STB/Mux operators, opportunities in helping companies to
build new business models around advertising, the service and repair of the
boxes, the installation of the boxes etc etc.

.         The available spectrum could be used for alternative data
services, or more bandwidth for certain other applications.

Therefore, let us not restrict our thinking that the end customer will be
short changed in fact from a social perspective it will improve the quality
as did mobile phones, please take time to look at how the introduction of
mobile data services has impacted the socio - economic structure of the
well-being of our people e.g. there is a who social-economic eco-system
around services like m-pesa, there could be if we wanted another social TV
experience built upon this on having various interactive services.

There is my 2 cents worth.

Best Regards,

Baiju