[kictanet] Syria shuts down Internet? How can we stop this from happening again?-application to Kenya?

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Wed Dec 5 15:58:00 EAT 2012

Thanks McTim,
I think this is a highly emotive topic.
These issues are emotional to us who have been affected by negative
politics and ethnicity that is propagated throug the various
communication channels. I happen to have lived my entire life in a
volatile province especially on election period and witnessed carnage
and horrors from 1991,1992,1994,1997, and 2008. I have seen whole
villages burned down, had friends loose their entire livelihoods,
classmates made orphans, neighbours mad beggars, and communities live
in fear. After each cycle, many residents migrate to safer places, and
those that believe in the unwavering spirit of humanity reconstruct
and restart their lives and start afresh in the affected areas.

When you talk about freedom of communication, over fear of the lives
of my loved ones, I just hear zzzzzzzz.

On 03/12/2012, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:
> Kivuva,
>
> On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Kivuva <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com> wrote:
>> That is a very detailed and philosophical approach by Walu.
>>
>> Speaking for the mwananchi at the grassroots, if switching of the
>> Internet and broadcast media can foster unity by preventing
>> transmission of hate and unhealthy debates, then they should be
>> switched off
>
> Perhaps you should ask the mwananchi how they feel about having their
> right to communicate taken away from them in the name of "security".
>
> As Benjamin Franklin once said:  “They that can give up essential
> liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty
> nor safety.”
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim

Mwendwa Kivuva
For
Business Development
Transworld Computer Channels
Cel: 0722402248
twitter.com/lordmwesh
transworldAfrica.com | Fluent in computing
kenya.or.ke | The Kenya we know