[kictanet] Syria shuts down Internet? How can we stop this from happening again?-application to Kenya?

Francis Hook francis.hook at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 14:10:18 EAT 2012

Thanks Meshack.  I think the article glosses over some of the real
issues...and democracy and freedom of speech are not the MAIN issues.
Also I find sentences like "to return their citizens to the digital dark
ages" rather hilarious.  The internet in itself, given people's increasing
dependence on it,  has heralded its own dark age (cyber terrorism, fraud,
identify theft, etc etc)- but that is a story for another day when we
discuss the merits and demerits of the net.   And it does not hurt to visit
people instead of poking them or IMing them.  It does not hurt to put pen
to paper and indulge in the old art of writing.  It certainly does not hurt
to pick up a paper back and do some reading.  Not sure how that becomes a
dark age.

I think the real issue is money.  When you shut off the internet
Egypt/Kenya/RSA/etc - someone is losing money on online adverts, someone is
losing money on data revenues, etc.   Its a multi billion dollar industry.
 But somehow we gloss over that fact and quickly latch onto discussions
when people talk about about human rights etc etc...

On 4 December 2012 21:29, meshack emakunat <memakunat at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dear list
> this could be of interest to the discussion.
>

> http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/12/03/these-are-the-61-countries-most-susceptible-to-an-internet-shutdown/
>

> Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

> * From: * McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com>;
> * To: * <memakunat at yahoo.com>;