[kictanet] Digital migration and mass ignorance

Francis Hook francis.hook at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 12:42:12 EAT 2012

Hi Washington
Thanks.   I think have rudimentary knowledge of what a set top box is
- is it a device used to convert digital signals to allow an analogue
TV to receive them?

If so, then I still do not get why it should be said Linus does not
understand.  Is it because he used the word "decoder" instead of "set
top box"?   Sorry i still do get it.

Can anyone else enlighten me?

Rgds

On 5 December 2012 11:26, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com> wrote:
> @Hook,
>
> Let me quote what Bobby attributed to Mr. Linus Gitahi (sorry, I did not
> hear Linus first hand).
>
> <quote>
>
> “Kenyans are not ready because less than one per cent have decoders. Some
> have old black and white television sets. What happens to them?” queried
> Nation Media Group Chief Executive Linus Gitahi.
> </quote>
>
> If that is truly what Mr. Gitahi said, then I must say it is nonsense. I
> must side with Robert on this. Why?
> Almost ALL TVs in Kenya (with the exception of a few that Samsung brought
> into the market recently) are analog. They all need a Set Top Box (STB) to
> receive the Digital signals when the analog transmission is switched off
> regardless of whether they are color or back&white TVs. I believe you are
> not asking Bobby to explain to you what an STB does.
>
> I hope this answers both your questions, especially if you've looked at the
> diagrams Bobby attached.
>

> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM, Francis Hook <francis.hook at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Robert
>> I'm sorry but I do not see how Mr Gitahi's statement shows a lack of
>> understanding of the decoder.  Please elucidate?  I myself do not have
>> a set top box or decoder.
>>
>> Also, you say "The black and white TV you are referring to will
>> receive an analogue signal and will not need to understand the digital
>> signal. "  Pls explain why not?
>>
>> Rgds
>> Francis
>>
>> On 5 December 2012 08:57, robert yawe <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk> wrote: