[kictanet] of online degrees + PCK...

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 30 12:56:57 EAT 2012

Hi Walu,

Thanks, nonetheless, for the belated lobbying with the ideas being put forth by the new PMG I might be coming back for more lobbying.

More importantly is the issue you have raised about degrees for a degrees sake and I made it clear to PS Ndemo at the height of my lobbying that I would not go and get a US$ 1,500/- online degree just to meet a flawed requirement.  Sometimes what you need is passion (Hon. Kajwang raised the issue of a "passionometer") and a clear understanding of the problem and a grasp of the ideal solution.

Installing WiFi connectivity and offering it at Kes. 150/= per month will never get PCK out of the situation it currently is in now, the silence on this comment is a clear indication that very few of us actually read the article.

I would like to believe that the WiFi was to only access e-gov and local content other wise at those charges he would not be able to cover the cost of international bandwidth let alone the backbone infrastructure to Internet the various post offices.

He would rather be thinking of having an e-commerce platform where you could order items online (a blank CD in Nairobi is 15/- in Thika it is 25/-), pay using PostaPay/PesaPay/mPesa and have them delivered by EMS or PostMail, that is the thinking expected of someone at the helm of PCK today and not one who believes that PCK is only about letter.

So if the WiFi system had 1 million users of which 20% bought online, from a locally situated store, two item every month weighing less than five KG (that is the smallest chargeable unit) for which they paid 250/- each for delivery that would result in a revenue of 1,200,000,000/- (1.2 Billion).

This solution can be implemented today without having to spend 1.2 Billion in CapEx just use the Safaricom cloud to host the sites and spend 150 Million in media advertising and 50 Million in printing direct marketing materials to be inserted in the post office boxes (no stamp cost required).

If the board and management of PCK are truly interested in revamping the corporation I can put together a consortium of local developers a Pasha loan from KICTB and free hosting from Safaricom (yet to discuss with them but this post should have them salivating to jump on board) to implement the e-commerce solution proposed above all in exchange for a small revenue share arrangement.

There PMG free advice from the person who believes he deserved the job if it was based on the results of a passionometer.

Regards

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor