[kictanet] Kibaki, Raila meddling stalls CCK actions

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Thu Aug 30 08:00:37 EAT 2012

John

Well put. Let me add my two cents here.

The fact that we are discussing these very pertinent issues goes to show how far we have come as a country. And we should never take that for granted.

Washington, sometimes desktop activism as you put it actually does work. Cases in point:-

1. The very lively debate on Internet Governance and ITRs that culminated in the IGFs that are now framing our positions prior to the Dubai WCIT in December.

2. The Corporate Governance debate on KeNIC that resulted in an open AGM and hopefully progress in reenergizing the Organisation.

I'm sure there are other examples so don't despair as I believe the space is now open for Kenyams to provide concrete contributions for the betterment of our sector and the country at large.

Back to the issue of the Telco sector. I honestly think that the problem lies mostly with the telcos themselves and not the regulator/Executive.

One contributor mentioned the issue of Safaricom being the dominant player and engaging in monopolistic behavior. How did this happen? I recall a time when Airtel/Celtel/Zain had more subscribers or equal to Safaricom's. What happened?

At the risk of sounding simplistic Telco services are now generic which basically means that what differentiates is the value addition, customer service and marketing. And let's not forget Data. More than half the country is still not experiencing high speed Internet - what we now take for granted in Nairobi.

Towards the end of Ramadhan I visited my home county of Kilifi as is our tradition to break the fast with the wazees. I found it very frustrating that the Internet speeds I've now come to take for granted in Nairobi were non existent in the counties - at least in Kilifi. I'm willing to bet that this is true in the majority of the counties.

This leads me to start thinking why are the Telcos not picking up these low hanging fruits? Could it be that they are so intent on competing with each other they have become myopic? I know one of the reasons that they may raise is the huge investment required to ensure this type of service. However, how many telcos right now are willing to co-invest in the infrastructure required? All we hear is this individual telco/ISP announcing another infrastructure investment.

In my opinion this discussion on executive interference at the CCK is a red herring. It does not detract from the fact that sone of the Telcos and ISPs business models are broken and it's just a matter of time before they drown in red ink.

Telcos/ISPs need to understand and embrace the concept of  'Frenemy'. Join forces and invest together in infrastructure and compete on service differentiation.

Ali Hussein

+254 773/713 601113

Sent from my iPhone®