[kictanet] Communications Licencing Act

Grace Mutung'u (Bomu) nmutungu at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 22:01:07 EAT 2012

Listers,
Some months back, news reported that another blogger (Dennis Itumbi) was
charged (and later discharged) with misuse of a communication
system/hacking under KICA.

While I agree that misuse of communication is an offence, I would have
thought that the intention of section 29 was to protect against
misuse,public order and not abuses.
Recent practice has been that criminal defamation is hardly the course of
action as those who feel violated by others' publications sue them (civil
defamation)
The problem with invoking section 29 of KICA is that it can easily be used
to threaten freedom of expression where the powerful can use their
influence to institute criminal proceedings. So this section is a double
edged sword and a cause for concern.

2012/8/23 Sound Africa Ltd <dmakali at yahoo.com>

> Above all, there is the constitution of course which, at Article 35
> secures all of us the right to access information but makes clear that
> everyone is entitled to dignity and protection of his reputation and
> correction or deletion of false and misleading information. There is no
> heroism to defaming anyone.
>
> Its highly actionable esp if that defamation is connected to a capital
> offence such as murder, as is alleged by Alai. See defamation Act, 1990-
> the penalty is not less than a million bob and a stiff jail term. That
> should be a deterrent to careless speech/expression such as is writ large
> on social media.
>
> David
>

> Sent from my BlackBerry®

Grace L.N. Mutung'u (Bomu)