[kictanet] Communications Licencing Act

Joseph McDonald mcdonaldoj at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 10:11:22 EAT 2012

I think Robert Alai can be charged under section 29 of the Kenya
Information and Communication Act CAP 411A revised 2009.

The Section talks about Improper use of a telecommunication system (A phone
,Computer/Internet etc)

29. A person who by means of a licensed telecommunication system—
(a) sends a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an
indecent, obscene or menacing character;

or

(b) sends a message that he knows to be false for the purpose of causing
annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another person commits an
offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding fifty
thousand shillings, or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three
months, or to both.

You also raised the issue of re tweeting or forwarding a message.

Under Defamation Law any one who repeats a defamatory publication or
statement is liable.

So for example if you write a book which has defamatory statements and the
affected person decides to sue he can sue the author,the publisher,the
bookshop,a library that stocks the book or even the street vendor.

So in this case if you re-tweet or forward an sms you are just as liable as
the originator of the tweet or sms.

I am a law student and not a lawyer yet....so my facts might be wrong
...but that is just my opinion based on my limited understanding of the
matter.

Thanks