[kictanet] Ministry seeks more seats at KENIC

Sammy Buruchara buruchara at me.com
Fri Aug 17 16:49:59 EAT 2012

Dear Listers,

Following a number of posts in regard to KENIC. I would like to offer some
clarifications.

KENIC is at an advanced stage in the implementation of the Institutional
Assessment Recommendations which among other things is the review of the
stakeholders.

In the Strategic Plan Review that took place  last month, the following
stakeholders were selected based on the value they bring to the KENIC Board
to enable KENIC meet its mandate of growing the .ke name space in Kenya.

The criteria used for the selection of the stakeholders was:

-          Validly registered organization with physical offices and
location

-          Organizations that can impact the growth of the .ke

-          Representation from all sectors of the Kenyan Community (Govt,
private sector, academia, consumers.

The selected organizations will be introduced at the AGM and represent
various sectors of the Internet community deemed to have direct impact on
the growth of KENIC.

Consequently the following organizations were selected:

-          CCK (Govt, Regulatory, ) (Founder Member)

-          TESPOK (Telecom Operators)(Founder Member)

-          DRAKE (Domain Registrars)

-          KENNET( Education, Academia)

-          KEPSA(Industry, Private Sector)

-          MOIC (Govt, Policy)

-          KOFEC (Consumers & End users)

The appointment of KICTANET as Associate Board member and later Board member
in 2007 was based on the understanding that KICTANET is a legally
constituted organization with valid registration papers . However the
Institutional Assessment report indicated that they did not receive any
documents to ascertain its registration status.

One of the recommendations of the Institutional Assessment Report was the
alignment of the Board Charter with Memorandum and Articles of Association.
The Company Secretary is in the process of making the necessary changes to
meet this alignment condition.

An AGM in law is a meeting of members of an Organization who are contained
in the MEMART and have signed a guarantee, and Board Directors. Contrary to
past practice, the KENIC AGM legally will be composed of the representatives
of the two founder members listed in the Memorandum & Articles of
Association, namely CCK & TESPOK, Directors of the Board, and
representatives of the Stakeholder organizations listed above invited as
observers.

It is important to note that KENIC is in a dynamic process of change and
some of the information being posted on this list about the organization
have taken a "snap shot" picture of KENIC at some time in history and do not
take into account the many changes that have since taken place.

While it is healthy to discuss the status of KENIC as the .ke Registry, it
is important to note that there are organizations and individuals who have
worked hard to bring KENIC to its current status.

At the dawn of Internet in Kenya, we all relied on Mr. Randy Bush in Oregon
USA to register .ke domains. TESPOK and CCK at the time strange bedfellows
came together and developed a plan to take over the management of .ke from
Randy Bush. Indeed during their meetings, many observers were intrigued to
see competitors and regulator sit together over a cup of tea as they were
sworn enemies. But it is this multi-stakeholder spirit that eventually
succeeded in wresting the control of .ke from the individual to Kenyans and
it has been one of our prides in the Internet community.

There are still a number of cctld that are managed by individuals while
others are struggling to take off.

KENIC in 2010 successfully hosted the ICANN meeting in Nairobi a major feat
considering the negative political image Kenya had earned since the Post
2007 elections. Again it was a combination of Govt through Ministry of
Information, CCK, TESPOK and Industry Sponsors that made the event a
success.

Some of the posts seem to create a situation which  does not exist. The
representatives of the key stakeholders are confident of the operations of
the registry. We would welcome suggestions of any section of the community,
duly constituted, that is not properly represented. Also I  wish to state
that there is no tension or animosity between the private sector represented
in KENIC and govt as may be alluded in previous posts.

Finally for those of you who attended the Opening Ceremony of ICANN 2010 at
KICC, the Vice President in his speech said that KENIC should grow its cash
reserves to be able to run for 24 months with zero income. This was the
standard set for sustainability. KENIC is working towards this goal and
expect to achieve it  within the Strategic Plan period ending 2015.

I trust that this serves to clarify the issues raised.

Kind regards

Sammy Buruchara

Change Manager