[kictanet] East Africa to benefit from proposed continental domain name

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Fri Aug 17 08:39:22 EAT 2012

Jaco and all

I find this article abit misleading.

I attended one of the meetings in Johannesburg to iron out the final MOU between AU, Uniforum and AfTLD, the umbrella organization for ccTLDs in Africa. At no time did the idea of replacing (or competing with) the current ccTLDs with second level  .Africa TLD arise as this article implies.

I think Uniforum needs to quickly clarify this issue as this news article may be construed to mean that .Africa will muscle in to an already fragile market for African ccTLDs - Infact one of the major bones of contention as I recall was this perceived competition.

Ali Hussein

+254 773/713 601113

Sent from my iPhone®