[kictanet] Road Accidents Everywhere

Peter Wakaba peterwakaba at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 13:04:47 EAT 2012

This thing is no joke. On Saturday two weeks ago, I was in a road accident
on Valley road at the NPC flyover after a chap driving a black Toyota
fielder came out Ralph Bunche going the wrong direction (its a one way
road) joined valley road out of the slip road, which is illegal, drove
across a double yellow line (which is illegal), changed his mind when he
saw oncoming traffic and decided to turn back and head towards the Nairobi
hospital junction.

Luckily, i rammed the Idiot at just below fifty coming down the hill (i had
seen him and had time to break and swerve) i got him at the passenger door,
totaling the car. (mine)

I spent a day in hospital, while a passenger i had with me spent three days
in a neck brace. The chap is now driving again on Kenyan roads after the
police let him go and declared the case under investigation 'pending'
perpetually.

He was very lucky. I usually drive that car particularly fast in order to
stay ahead of idiots like him and truck drivers. ( a friend who had passed
me a few hundred meters before had stopped to inquire whether we were okay
on account of our slow speed.

This situation is driven by simple impunity. the truck driver DO NOT obey
traffic rules, they over load, are unroadworthy, tired overworked and
generally have a bad attitude.

They harass other drivers all the time and I can tell you THAT I WITNESSED
severally when they harassed some government bigwig without knowing and
instant justice was meted out by his bodyguards.

So what about the rest of us????

I can tell you that it is now OFFICIAL GOVERNMENT POLICY THAT ANYTHING OVER
28 TONNES SHOULD AND MUST BE TRANSPORTED VIA RAIL. The government has made
it clear it intends to achieve a significant load shift by December.

why enforcement to get this monsters off Kenyan road hasn't began I don't
know. Or maybe it was just lip service?

That is not the worst part of this whole shebang however. Imagine for one
moment the fact that your kids in that wobbly school bus have to competed
for road space with tankers full of all manner of flammable goods.

And for those who didnt know, the reason they are constructing a wall
besides every rail line in sight is so that they can get those heavy trucks
off our roads and leave us to deal with the other small toyota driving
'iDIOTS' who never bothered to learn the traffic code.

and by the way after thirty days, i am taking it upon myself to deal with
the idiot if the police will not have sorted him out.

That to me seems a bit of a solution. my way. what yours?

my two cents.