[kictanet] Ministry seeks more seats at KENIC

Solomon Mbũrũ Kamau solo.mburu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 09:40:19 EAT 2012

On 14 August 2012 08:27, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> @Mburu,
>
> i would have thought govt stakeholder is already present thro the
> Regulator and i would hesitate  or avoid to add more govt seats in KENIC.
>  I know academics would say regulator and govt are different but in our
> emerging democracies there is little or no difference in practice.
>
> But perhaps CCK the regulator intends to relinquish its role on the Kenic
> board in line with the fact that they r to regulate the domain space and
> hence they should step out of running or managing the same space. In that
> case Govt thro the Ministry would be a welcome board member...rather than a
> dominant one as it were.
>
> walu.
>

> @walu, even if the Information ministry wants to have more seats at KENIC,
the teething problems, cannot be solved without addressing the issues
outrightly.

I don't see what role the ninistry would be playing at KENIC apart from
arbitration. And in case there is an arbitration, then it means there is a
dispute. That should be the starting point. Having many members sitting at
the KEnic board, does not solve the problems at hand. That's what should be
the focus... in my view.

Mburu