[kictanet] [Skunkworks] Great story on Estonia as an Internet nation

Dorcas Muthoni dmuthoni at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 10:01:00 EAT 2012

I have had the opportunity to visit Estonia and review all these...I must
add that the work and innovations are done by Estonian's companies and not
by IBM, Oracle, Microsoft etc the international software vendors who are
many times named whenever we talk of e-services for Kenya. The Estonian
companies only utilize that which these vendors and open source has done
very well rather than re-invent the wheel.

Estonia is leveraging local software houses and incubators who are willing
to make custom solutions, see http://e-estonia.com/

They are now exporting the software solutions which have matured through
utilization by the local market to other markets such as EU, NA and Japan.

We all know Skype is from Estonia and was the product of an incubator at
one of their technical universities.

So, Paul and team, keep that in mind and ensure the 10% budget in each
public agency is secured for automation. Then we shall get there and make
several of our local software brands household names in the 54 African
countries and beyond!

--
Muthoni

My Blog: http://rugongo.blogspot.com/