[kictanet] [KICTAnet] CCK hosting its website abroad

Dennis Kioko dmbuvi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 11:49:49 EAT 2012

The government has data centres which are barely utilised
http://www.cio.co.ke/news/main-stories/Kenyan-Government-to-launch-3-data-centres

I once tried highlighting issues with Government in my *Last Word *column,
though found that I was burning my fingers in the process, and I shall keep
my distance from that discussion.

In my coming column in the same magazine, I have highlighted that we are
pushing too much for "local sourcing" rather than an export oriented
economy.

If local firms are already exporting, how can we help them export more ?
How can we add more firms exporting?

While protecting the local firms may looks prudent, we may find ourselves
in the receiving end when those who we were exporting to decide it is
unfair that we are "keeping them from our market". this has to be done very
careful.

South Korea, unlike the rest, decided to be crazy and protect its exports -
the country is the 8th largest importer and 7th largest exporter - by
ensuring that key components are always in supply
http://internationalbusiness.wikia.com/wiki/South_Korea's_export-oriented_import_protection_economy

Brazil on the other hand, did not have a smooth ride with its
import substitution program. It had to devalue its currency (weren't we all
crying with a weak currency last year?) and the military decided it was
best suited to fix things at some point
http://countrystudies.us/brazil/62.htm