[kictanet] Shaking a leg at IGF Gala night

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 30 00:31:29 EAT 2011

Shaking a leg at IGF Gala night
By Mutwiri Mutuota

NAIROBI, Kenya, September 29- Techies worldwide are known more for their devoted love of gadgets and fiddling with the same for hours on end.

However, they too have their human side and on Wednesday night, participants at the 6th Internet Governance Forum (IGF) in Nairobi tucked away their laptops, iPhones, iPads and any portable electronic gadget at their disposal to put their best foot forward.

The occasion was the gala opening of the IGF hosted by the Kenyan government where only intermitted short speeches (tech savvy folk prefer to do most of their talking by fingers, mind you) interrupted the explosion of fan.

Top Kenyan Ministry of Information and Communication led by the minister, Samuel Poghisio, his Permanent Secretary, Dr. Bitange Demo and Alice Munyua, the chair, Kenya IGF Steering Committee are among those that addressed the gathering.

Participants from all over the world then got down to sample the best Kenyan cuisine prepared by the famed Carnivore Restaurant of the Tamarind Group in a buffet package served from seven points that sampled delicacies from coastal communities in Kenya.

The Village Band was at hand and belted out local traditional tunes as the international guests took the opportunity to engage in social banter away from computer related talk.

And once peoples tummies were full, it was time to be entertained by an enchanting mix of African pop tunes that simply drove the crowd to frenzy.

Young techies relished the moment to display their dancing skills as songs from various ethnic communities in Kenya including Kalenjin, Agikuyu, Akamba, Abaluhya and Dhuluo, as well as popular numbers from Nigeria, Uganda and Liberia among others blazed the speakers.

“This is the chance we wanted to give all our visitors to sample what Kenya has to offer,” Poghisio said in his brief remarks.

For sure, the Gala that earned rave reviews for those who made to the giant tent gave a credible rendition of the vibrancy of the Kenyan society to echo the advancements in information technology that are seeing the development of ever miniature gadgets.

Sheila Mwanyigha, a celebrated Kenyan media personality was the Emcee of the night that most visitors at the 6th IGF will remember.